Welcome to Fly Screens UK

Want an insect-free home? Used widely in the US, Australia and some European countries, fly screens are being used increasingly by home owners and businesses across the UK.

A basic system consists of some insect mesh (also known as insect mesh netting or just insect netting) a frame with a channel, a 'spline' or 'cord' to hold the mesh in place and a method of fixing the screen in place. The fly screen is fitted over a door or window to prevent insects from entering.

There are variations on this theme including roller fly screens which operate in a similar way to a roller blind and pleated fly screens again similar to a blind system. Other systems include fly curtains which are made either with strips of mesh or lengths of chain.

Generally, fly screens can be categorised as follows:

Fly Screen vs. Insect Screen

In the UK the term 'fly screen' is used as a generic term for screens that keep insects out, so when we talk about a fly screen we are not just referring to a screen that will keep the common house fly out, but one which will also keep out wasps, bees, mosquitoes, midges and many more.

In effect we are looking for an insect screen rather than just a fly screen (or bug screen as they are known in the US).

The clever thing about screen systems is that by putting a specific type of mesh into a screen frame, we can create a screen to deal with a specific problem. For example, a standard insect mesh (16 x 18) will prevent flies, wasps, bees and mosquitoes from passing through, however to prevent midges passing through a finer 20 x 30 mesh is required. So the screen frame stays the same but the mesh changes.

Other mesh options include pollen mesh - to help reduce the effects of hay fever and 'Pet mesh' which is an extra strong mesh that enables pet owners to open doors and windows without the worry of losing their pet. Both have the added benefit of keeping insects out hence they are also fly screens.

Finally it is worth remembering that all the above mesh products filter UV rays (to varying degrees) so they also have heat reduction/glare reduction properties. And yes there is also a UV mesh designed specifically to filter UV rays!

Get in touch

Need help choosing screen or have any other questions? We'd love to hear from you!